The Top 8 Benefits of Delta 8
Delta 8 THC is pretty popular amongst a variety of users. Some people use it recreationally since it is a clearer, milder high than Delta 9 THC (weed) but it is becoming increasingly popular for its beneficial attributes. Delta 8 has shown to be 50 to 75% as psychoactive as Delta 9 and therefore easier to control dosage. Read on to find out how Delta 8 can be beneficial to you. If you need a refresher on what Delta 8 is, read our earlier blog; What is Delta 8 THC? to get caught up.
Though Delta 8 is a popular option for recreational use, it continues to prove its beneficial effects on consumers. Since it reacts to your endocannabinoid system as CBD does, it has shown positive effects to help maintain balance in your endocannabinoid system. Though CBD does the same thing as Delta 8, users prefer Delta 8 because of the higher relief effects associated with the body high.
CDC and FDA Warnings: How To Stay Safe With Delta 8
If you’ve been watching the news lately (September 2021) then you’ve seen that, both The FDA and The CDC came out with statements warning the public on the hazards of using Delta 8 THC products. While their arguments aren’t insubstantial, it doesn’t mean that you should be scared off from trying Delta 8 or continuing to use Delta 8 products.
Delta 8 is a federally legal substance according to The 2018 Farm Bill. Each state has their own regulations around Delta 8, so while it may be legal in one state, the selling of it could be illegal in another. Make sure you are educated on your respective state’s laws surrounding Delta 8.
Though it’s legal, the concerns were brought to the public’s attention to ensure safety surrounding the use of Delta 8 as it is a psychoactive substance. This is because we have seen a recent increase of adverse events due to the use of Delta 8 THC. Let’s look at some of the concerns brought up by The FDA and The CDC and why you should be knowledgeable about Delta 8.
- Delta 8 THC products have not been approved or deemed safe for use per the FDA.
Delta 8 THC is dramatically under-researched, we know this. There are a few animal studies out there on the effects of Delta 8, but even fewer human studies. We turn to the few studies conducted and a lot of anecdotal evidence on the benefits of Delta 8, CBD, Delta 10, and more. When you are choosing your products you should always do research and make sure there are labels and lab reports for everything you are buying. Once you decide on your products and purchase them, you should always start with low doses and work your way up while acknowledging how you feel and how your body feels while using these products.
- Increasing reports of adverse events involving Delta 8 THC products.
Some of the cases that have been reported involved minors ingesting their parent’s products. Cases like these can be avoided by treating your products as “medicine” or “vitamins” and making sure they are stored away from kids or even pets. Anyone that isn’t you shouldn’t be able to obtain your CBD or Delta 8 products easily.
Some more cases that involved Delta 8 products were individuals that mistook the Delta 8 products for CBD products and experienced the “high” you feel with Delta 8. Ensuring you are buying from a knowledgeable retailer or seller and reading your product labels is very important. Knowing exactly what you are buying is also important. Reading through our blogs can help you with your CBD and Delta 8 knowledge and protect you from products you really don’t want and also incorrect dosing of your products.
- Delta 8 has psychoactive effects that expose consumers to higher levels of intoxication.
Delta 8 does have psychoactive effects, like Delta 9 (weed). It’s a different high, with less fogginess and a slightly milder high than Delta 9, but you will experience it significantly. The way you experience it depends on a lot of factors including your body composition, the concentrations of Delta 8 in the product, other ingredients that could affect you, the amount of the product you consume, your specific tolerance of the cannabinoids, and other factors. Making sure you know your dosage and properly use the product can help control your high. If you aren’t sure how it will affect you, starting with a low dosage and giving it time to work is super important. Once you know what your low bar for dosing is and how your body reacts, then you can start working your way up in small increments from there.
- Claims of Delta 8 products “often involve use of potentially harmful chemicals”.
This concern is VERY IMPORTANT. To ensure your safety from harsh chemicals, you should absolutely buy from a knowledgeable and verified seller. When you are looking for products, make sure you have the COA (Certificate of Analysis), lab results, and ingredients list. Knowing exactly what is in your product is good for your safety from harmful chemicals but also if you have an allergy to anything that could be in the products you are looking at. Make sure you know what you are buying.
- Keep Delta 8 products out of reach of children and pets.
Proper storage of Delta 8 (and really, any supplement you have) is super important. One reason is to definitely keep them out of reach of children and pets. There are some CBD products for pets, but still ensure they can’t get to them so they don’t take over their required dose. Another reason to properly store your products is so they don’t go bad. Never use an expired product.
So, of course the concerns are completely understandable. As with all supplement-type or health products, you should do your research, purchase from a verified vendor or retailer, understand how your body will be affected by the specific product, and store your products in proper storage conditions including away from pets and kids. Delta 8 is anecdotally proving to be beneficial for a lot of people and could be for you, too.
Side Effects of Delta 8 THC
Of course with any type of vitamin or supplement, there will be side effects that aren’t necessarily welcome. Side effects can also vary person to person depending on a lot of factors that are personal to you; body weight, allergies, tolerance, mental health, environment, etc. There are ways, though, that will help you combat these side effects, the main one being that you know your body and know how to properly dose in conjunction to your body’s natural reaction to the Delta 8 product.
Side effects of using Delta 8 products include;
- Dry eyes and mouth
- Body high (includes lethargy and uncoordinated movements)
- Low blood pressure
- Anxiety (with improper dosing)
- Impairment (as with alcohol, using too much will inhibit your ability to drive, work, etc.)
- Fail a drug test (see our blog on 5 Ways to Cleanse For a Drug Test)
Though this list doesn’t include all negative effects for every person, it also doesn’t mean that you will experience any of these side effects. By understanding how your body reacts to different products and ingredients, you will be able to control and possibly combat any adverse reactions.
Top 8 Benefits of Delta 8 THC
While cannabinoids in general keep proving to have beneficial effects on the endocannabinoid system, here are the top 8 reasons you should be using Delta 8.
- Stress/Anxiety Relief: Delta 8 can invoke feelings of relaxation, comfort, and calmness when properly dosed.
- Appetite Stimulant: For those struggling with eating disorders or even certain patients with appetite issues, Delta 8 can help stimulate your appetite.
- Antiemetic: Delta 8 has proven to possibly be good for anti-vomiting and anti-nausea. This can be especially helpful to people that are on nausea-invoking medicines. Just make sure to talk to your doctor before you use Delta 8 as it could affect your medicine.
- Pain Relief: Because Delta 8 engages with your endocannabinoid system, it can provide some pain relief from pain-causing inflammation in your body.
- Sleep Aid: Delta 8 is helpful in creating a sense of calmness and drowsiness therefore potentially helping you get to sleep and stay asleep.
- Focus and Concentration: In some cases and with correct dosing, Delta 8 can help maintain focus and concentration. This could possibly be beneficial to people with ADHD as well.
- Anti-tumor: A study in lab mice showed a significant tumor size reduction. This study shows that Delta 8 could impact tumor cells and other harmful cells.
- Neuroprotective: Delta 8 has also been shown to contain neuroprotective properties and produce certain neurotransmitters that can help with memory, cognition, and neuroplasticity.
Another reason, and pretty popular reason, that you should try Delta 8 is for the recreational aspect. With proper dosing and in a comfortable environment, Delta 8 can create an uplifting and fun environment.
Top Products To Try For Delta 8 Beginners
Ready to try Delta 8? Here are some fun and approachable products to try. Just remember to read the labels and dosing instructions for each product.
If you have any questions or concerns, The Green Dragon CBD team members are always ready to help you. Whether you need help picking out a product, how to properly dose for your specific needs, or just a question on flavors, don’t hesitate to contact us! Just hit that contact button or drop a comment below!