What is CBD?
Say hello to our little friend, CBD. It’s about time that you become acquainted with our favorite chemical compound. Why has it revolutionized the skin and healthcare industry over the past few years? What are the benefits sought for cannabidiol use and how does it help? What IS cannabidiol (yes, it’s okay to ask this)? If you’re new to the market and need the low-down, we’re here to help. Let’s talk about the science behind this cannabidiol, the use, and the research that continues for the future of the CBD industry.
What is CBD?
According to Project CBD, simply put, CBD is a chemical compound found in plants like hemp. While it is one of more than a hundred phytocannabinoids in the plant, CBD is the second-most abundant molecule produced within the plant and is known for its therapeutic properties. CBD stands for cannabidiol. You can pronounce cannabidiol (ca-nuh-bi-DYE-ol) or also shown phonetically as ( ka-nə-bə-ˈdī-ˌȯl). Hear the proper pronunciation here.
CBD works directly with the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS). Every human has an ECS that helps to maintain the healthy functioning of the immune system, blood vessels, organs, and more. Within this system, there are two types of receptors, CB1 and CB2. Cannabinoids are already produced by the body and fit into these receptors to regulate the body’s systems. However, more often than not due to normal disruptions such as stress or external factors, the ECS system can be thrown off balance. This is where CBD comes in as it allows for the body to rebalance and keep the systems running smoothly. Due to this link, there comes further research on the potential benefits that CBD has for certain diseases and conditions. We’ll get to that later on, so keep reading about CBD!
Unlike CBD’s cousin tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), it is the non-psychoactive component of the plant. With this knowledge, you can feel confident knowing that this will not make you feel a head high or euphoric state if it is something that you do not wish to experience. We wanted to set the record straight on this before moving along into the types of CBD products and common uses.
What Are the Common Uses of Cannabidiol?
Many use CBD to promote overall health and wellness, however, there are many reasons that more and more people are turning to cannabidiol. Before diving into the most common uses of CBD, we’d like to preface by saying that more and more about the health benefits linked to CBD are being discovered every day. We look forward to learning more and more about this chemical compound. In the meantime, some mental and physical conditions stand out as common uses of CBD. For example, some people who suffer from chronic pain may consider CBD as a natural form of treatment rather than relying on prescription medication. The link between chronic pain and CBD use links back to the ECS system that we discussed earlier. As you maintain the balance of the ECS in your body, it helps to naturally regulate and manage pain symptoms.
Additionally, CBD is often recommended for insomnia as some studies have shown that CBD can help those that struggle with anxiety to help and stay asleep. Which brings us to another common use for CBD, those that struggle with anxiety and depression. CBD for anxiety is one of the most common uses to alleviate symptoms for both humans and even cats and dogs. Many findings continue to emerge showing that CBD for depression could be beneficial.
Even people suffering from chronic mental challenges, such as autism, may find relief in using CBD.
Let’s talk about some of the most common uses of CBD for physical conditions. One of the most common physical uses for CBD is to help with inflammation of any kind. CBD is an anti-inflammatory and due to this can significantly help with this discomfort. Other common uses include arthritis and sciatica for example.
[bud on box]
What Are the Common Ways to Take Cannabidiol?
Now that you know more about what CBD is, allow us to introduce you to the world of CBD possibilities. And yes, you may feel like a kid in a candy store (we often do, too). No person has the same needs for CBD and due to this their experience will be unique. The best product and dosage will depend on your specific health needs and other important factors. That’s why there is a product that can suit anyone — even your furry friends!
The types of CBD product categories include:
- CBD Edibles - ‘Cause why not make it delicious? One of the most popular ways to ingest CBD is to eat it! There are countless different types of edibles available today, but gummies, chocolate, and other candy are by far the most common. CBD edibles also include drinks such as coffee or tea, which allows you to incorporate this use into your daily morning routine. Here at The Green Dragon CBD, we offer several edible products from the JustCBD line. They have lots of unique candy options to choose from!
- CBD Flower/Vaping - CBD bud comes from hemp and is smoked. Pre-rolls are common in this category, for those who are unfamiliar with rolling a joint or simply for convenience. With CBD flower, you will get to try multiple strains for different flavor profiles and characteristics. For those who are comfortable with smoking, this is a great option. We carry flower from Squish CBD that is a Cherry Wine flavor and refreshingly fruity! Additionally, CBD vaping does not contain any nicotine. This is another great way to absorb CBD rapidly.
- CBD Topicals - For those that are seeking help for physical conditions such as eczema or inflammation, a CBD topical may be your best bet. Topicals are applied directly to your skin providing direct relief. Just some of the types of CBD topicals include pain creams, lotions, muscle gels, and more. Our range of CBD topicals varies in method, purpose, and brands.
- CBD Oil - Another of the most popular methods of cannabidiol consumption is CBD oil. CBD oil can be dropped into your favorite beverage or taken sublingually. Many people turn to this method of consumption for its convenience as well as the rapid time that it takes to have effects on the body. Since this is taken sublingually, it can immediately enter the bloodstream. Learn more about sublingual CBD use and recommended products here.
- CBD Capsules + Supplements - Just like your daily vitamin, a capsule may be the easiest way to ingest CBD. This is easily transportable and can work right into your regimen. With a capsule, there are varying strengths available as well as some that are best for specific health needs.
Of course, there are also those unique CBD products such as bath bombs, dog treats, and more. Be sure to check our website for the latest products from our trusted brands.
CBD 101: Complete
Congrats, you’ve made it through a whole article on CBD 101! We hope that this information is helpful no matter your knowledge of CBD. When you’re ready to browse for your products, we’re here to help! Contact our team and we’ll start with recommendations and a one-on-one conversation.